The ADInstruments Macknight Innovative Educator Award, made possible by our strategic partner ADInstruments, honors an early to mid-career APS member who demonstrates the greatest potential for incorporating innovative teaching techniques and effectively utilizing technology resources in engaging undergraduate or graduate students in physiology education.
The award will be presented annually. The award consists of:
- $1,500 honorarium;
- Complimentary registration and travel expenses (up to $2,000) for the awardee to attend the APS annual meeting at Experimental Biology;
- An institutional grant providing the awardee’s institution with an Education PowerLab System and supporting software, either: LabChart, Lt LabStation or a one-year subscription to Lt;
- An invitation to be featured on the ADInstruments website; and
- An award certificate.
- Applicant must be a regular or affiliate member in good standing of the APS and of the APS Teaching of Physiology Section (primary, secondary or tertiary).
- Applicant does not have to be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must have received their first faculty appointment within the last 15 years.
- Applicant must be actively engaged in physiology instruction at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Applicant must hold a full-time position of Assistant or Associate Professor, Lecturer, Instructor or similar position. The award is designed for educators who anticipate continued teaching at the institution.
- Applicant must be actively involved in the development and use of innovative teaching techniques and effectively use technology in undergraduate or graduate physiology education.
- Applicant must agree to attend next year's APS annual meeting at Experimental Biology (EB). It is incumbent on the applicant to assure that s/he will be able to attend the EB meeting and provide or obtain additional travel support beyond that provided by the award, if needed (e.g., for international travel). The award cannot be deferred to future years.
Final selection of the award recipient will be made by the Education Committee.
Applications must be submitted using the APS Online Awards Site. Applications shall consist of:
- Applicant's curriculum vitae (CV).
- A two-to three-page description of a laboratory-based instructional activity that exemplifies innovative use of technology in physiology education. The description should also include:
- An explanation of how this activity/technique can be integrated in the curriculum to best benefit students.
- Evidence and/or plans for sharing the work inside and outside the applicant’s institution.
- Indicator(s) of the successes of the activity.
- A description of student assessment.
- Indication of how the candidate will use the PowerLab for education.
- Description of the number of students who will be reached, including underserved student populations.
- Clear indication of institutional support (including specific language regarding activity).
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant's department chair or administrator.
Applications are only accepted via online submission.
Award at a Glance
Award amount: $1,500 honorarium
Application deadline: January 10
Questions? Contact: Education and Member Communities Department
Who can apply: Must be an APS member of the Teaching Section who has received their first faculty appointment within the last 15 years.