Award at a Glance
Award amount: $10,000 honorarium
Application deadline: December 2
Questions? Contact: Member Communities Department
Who Can Apply: Must be an APS member in good standing, working in the U.S. and holds holds the rank equivalent to assistant professor or above
The Lazaro J. Mandel Young Investigator Award was established in 1999 in memory of Lazaro J. Mandel, professor of physiology at Duke University and long-standing APS member. The award is presented annually to an APS member working within the U.S. who holds an academic rank no higher than assistant professor or equivalent. The award is intended to support an individual demonstrating outstanding promise based on their research program in epithelial or renal physiology.
The award package includes :
- $10,000 honorarium designated for use in the Awardee's research program, but does not include any indirect cost reimbursement;
- complimentary registration to attend the APS annual meeting at Experimental Biology (EB); and
- certificate presented at the APS Business Meeting.
- must be an APS member in good standing for two (2) consecutive years at the time of application
- must be working within the U.S.
- Hold a rank equivalent of assistant professor or above
- U.S. residency is not required
- description of current and pending research program, highlighting outstanding promise based on the research program in epithelial or renal physiology (up to 3 pages);
- One-page justification of how the intent of the award is demonstrated in the research program;
- NIH-style biosketch (up to 5 pages);
- list of their current and pending grant support not listed in biosketch;
- copy of abstract(s) submitted for presentation at the APS annual meeting at EB;
- letter of recommendation from department chair, administrator or mentor; and
- at least one letter of support discussing the impact of the research program on the field of epithelial or renal physiology.
Applications are only accepted via online submission.