Research Recognition Awards (RRAs) recognize outstanding research by graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who present a first-author abstract at the Experimental Biology Meeting. To simplify the process this year, the Research Recognition Award has been combined with the Caroline tum Suden/Frances Helledbrandt Professional Opportunity Awards. Applications will be reviewed by APS section award committees.The Section will also be offering Steven M. Horvath RRAs to the top ranked applicant from an underrepresented racial/ethnic background.
The applicant must:
- be a current APS member
- be a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow/medical resident
- submit a first-author abstract to the APS annual meeting at Experimental Biology
Please note that the applicant may only apply to the Section to which their abstract was submitted. There are no citizenship requirements for this award.
The applicants must submit:
- a copy of their abstract;
- a 1 page letter/statement to indicate applicant’s contribution to the research, the broader importance of the research , and a statement of the applicant's research goals. This statment should be signed by the mentor.
- Biosketch (NIH or NSF format)
Note: Award recipients are only allowed to receive this award once as a graduate student and once as a postdoctoral fellow reqardless of section affliliation.
Recipients may only accept one abstract-based award for the APS annual meeting.
Applications will be reviewed for the following:
- A clearly stated hypothesis or aim
- The technical approach to the study
- The pertinent results obtained with quantitative and statistical comparisons, when appropriate
- A clearly stated conclusion
- The significance of the results to the field
Letter from the applicant that addresses the following points (Note: This is not a letter of recommendation).:
- Role of applicant in research presented in the abstract
- Broader importance of the research described in the abstract
- Statement of applicant’s research goals
- This letter/statement must be signed by the applicant’s mentor.
Biosketch (please consider career stage when reviewing and scoring)
Applications are only accepted via online submission.